I am not very talented when it comes to decorating, but these are super easy. Take these to your Easter party and your guests will be amazed at your abilities!
Use your favorite frosting, color it green, and frost each cupcake. Place about 1/2 cup shredded coconut in a plastic sandwich bag with a couple drops of green food coloring, close the bag and smoosch (very technical term) it with your fingers until the coconut is green. Sprinkle the coconut on each cupcake to make it look like grass. Top with your favorite Easter treat (I used Easter jelly beans to look like eggs) and serve to your guests!
Flower Cakes: I divided the batter into six bowls and colored each a different color. Then I cooked the cakes in a flower shaped mold I purchased at the store. Super easy!! I just wish I was better at decorating, maybe I should take a class!!!
Lemon Cakes: I love lemon, so making these was especially fun. Zest a lemon into your batter and add the juice. If the batter isn’t lemony enough, zest another lemon and add more juice. This really is to taste. Adding the extra lemon juice did not really change the texture of the batter, but if you are worried it will be too runny, I would suggest adding the milk after the lemon juice, and then add only enough to get the consistency you are looking for.
- 1 pkg Grandpa's Kitchen Yellow Cake Mix (or use our Moist and Delicious Yellow Cake recipe)
- 2 ½ tsp vanilla
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 ¼ c milk
- ¾ c shortening or butter
- ½ c sour cream
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Mix flour, baking powder and salt together in separate bowl.
- In bowl beat shortening until smooth. Slowly add sugar and mix well. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each egg. Beat in vanilla.
- On low speed add flour mixture and milk alternately, mixing until just combined. When all the flour and milk in added mix well, scraping bowl. Mix in sour cream.
- Fill cupcakes ⅔ full. Bake for 18 minutes (my oven bakes hot so you may need a couple more minutes). Or put in 9×13 baking pan and bake 40-45 minutes.